[IRC-DEV] Common point for numerics use & assigment

Ruben Cardenal rubenc at arrakis.es
Wed Mar 13 11:38:57 CET 2002

Hi,

    I belong to the Irc-Hispano development team, and I have an
interesting proposal for all the biggest networks. When we add features
such as, for example, what is going to be done in our network, where
suspended nicks will show a "It has the nick SUSPENDed" (in spanish) at
whois and a new user mode (+S) for that, that will prevent user of
having +r mode, and also will deny bot access, and somethings more;
and... we need, of course, to use a new numeric for the whois reply. The
fact is, that when someone wants to start using a new numeric, you have
to check that it's not in use at another network (or at least the bigger
ones), and it's neccesary to perform some research before choosing the
numeric to use. Also, there are some cases in wich, at different
networks, the same numeric has different uses and, that, it's not very
good for client compatibility.

    Here is what we propose:

    Far beyond that creating a organism for controlling numeric
assigment, we want to create a common and "official" meeting point for
everybody  for numeric using and assigmentent. It would be not a place
where people asks permissions for using a numeric for an specific task,
but a place where people could see what numerics are being used, what's
the meaning of each one and, when you have to start using a new one, you
can easily see what are free and, you mark that numeric then as "used"
and also you tell what the use of that numeric will be. In that way, the
next person to check such database, will see that there's a new reply
and what that reply is. And, of course, if someone needs that feature in
the future, will use that numeric instead using a new one or, even
worst, using a new one that it will be in use in another network for
another purpose.

    I hope i have explained myself well :)

    Glad to hear oppinions and ideads for this, thanks.

Rubén Cardenal.